I’m trying to troubleshoot an inking problem on my Vandercook No. 4, Serial No. 14509. I’m finding that my rider rollers (the small steel rollers front and back) are not getting inked evenly. (See image, the front rider roller is not completely inking towards the right side)
When I roll the cylinder down the bed, I see shiny or bare patches indicating the rollers aren’t making contact. If I’m standing at the end of the bed, this is happening on the front rider roller’s right side, and the back rider roller’s left side. If I press down on the roller assembly handle gently, I can sort of “manually” correct this but I’d like to figure this out.
- The ink drum seems to be inking evenly and there’s no play in it
- The form roller’s heights are even and correct according to my gauge. I have nyliners in place.
- The roller assembly seems to be in good shape, very little play there.
- My rollers are about 5 years old, I keep them covered when the press isn’t in use, but it does get hot/cold in here…The rubber’s in good shape, but I do see flaring at the ends.
- I’m the sole operator of the press so I know the steel roller frame hasn’t been dropped/bent
Is it just my rubber roller’s flaring causing this? Do I just need new form rollers or is there some adjustment I am missing?