Well I have had a reasonably smooth time with my U-III since 2011. After fixing some initial issues I have been using it at least twice a month for printing everything from business cards to large format linocut posters.

It came to me with a braking issue which could be managed with increasing the braking on the front knob and slightly adjusting the limit switch cams. Now the braking knob is fully turned clockwise and the carriage is bumping. The limit switch cams are also at their max adjustment.

I know I have some bigger issues at hand because the cycle and run settings never worked. Last Saturday it started to hang up at the feed table and required a nudge to get it started. And it also started hitting really hard at both ends of the press. More so at the feed table end. I now get an occasional switch sticking once the press is warmed up.

Now I am trying to chase gremlins. Read a handful posts about electrical issues. I think what I can adjust now is the clutch since everything else requires electrical work. I think I am also going to order 4 new limit switches for the press too.

Any insight to these gremlins and how to fix them is much appreciated! Here are a couple of shots of where things sit right now.

image 3 image4 image 2


Warning: Attempt to read property "content" on int in /home/p4ulm0x0n/public_html/vandercookpress.info/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/products/photocrati_nextgen/modules/third_party_compat/module.third_party_compat.php on line 490

Warning: Attempt to read property "content" on int in /home/p4ulm0x0n/public_html/vandercookpress.info/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/products/photocrati_nextgen/modules/third_party_compat/module.third_party_compat.php on line 490

1 thought on “Universal-III Power issues”

  1. Looks like it is going to be all electrical. I adjusted the clutch. It was adjusted down so tight that it was hard to initially back off. Now the church is set but I still have the take-off issue with needing to nudge the carriage to get it to start moving. Almost like something is sticking or dragging when leaving the feed table.

    I went through everything that moved on the motor side, cleaned all the oil holes on the carriage and reoiled it.

    Hopefully it is not a motor issue.

Leave a Comment