Vandercook Composing Room Cylinder Info


My name is Bree and I have been given the task to restore the letterpress at Grand Valley State University. I believe we have a #17 Composing Room Cylindrer however I cannot find any information on this press. I am wondering if anyone can direct me to instructions or any information regarding this letterpress, use, part, etc.


5 thoughts on “Vandercook Composing Room Cylinder Info

  1. Paul Moxon, Moderator - June 26, 2013

    Bree, your press might actually be a No. 25, which is a larger version of the No. 17 Composing room cylinder. Check the other end of the press in the same location for the serial number.

    For letterpress supplies:
    John Barrett’s Lettepress Things
    Don Black Linecasting,
    Dave Churchman,
    Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics,

    I sent you Arie’s contact info in an email.

  2. Bree - June 26, 2013

    I did not find a serial number where you described on the press, does that mean that I have the wrong model type?

  3. Bree - June 26, 2013

    The press itself is fully functional at the moment, although we are missing the paper feed part. However, we are looking for many letterpress supplies such as brayers, a quoin key, composing sticks, wood furniture, a furniture rack, and a slug case. Perhaps you know any places where the school could purchase these items at a reasonable price?


  4. Arie Koelewyn - June 23, 2013


    I’m not as knowledgeable about Vandercooks as platen presses, but I have torn down and reconstructed a 325A and I’ll be taking Paul’s class on Vandercook maintenance at Type on the Cob ( and I visit Allendale almost weekly. Let me know if I can help. At the very least, I can put you in touch with other Michigan printers through the Michigan Letterpress Guild.

    —Arie Koeelwyn
    The Paper Airplane Press
    East Lansing, MI

  5. Paul Moxon, Moderator - June 5, 2013

    I have a one page instruction sheet and a sales sheet I can send you.

    Please look for a serial number on the right end of the bed near the hole for a lock up pin. It would be under the galley bed plate and grime/rust.

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2022 vandercookpress.infoTheme by SiteOrigin
Scroll to top