16 thoughts on “Pressure Ink Well

  1. Wallflowers Press - November 20, 2006

    I’m sorry that I mislead everyone on the traveling paper try. I meant that the one I just bought didn’t have it.

  2. Paul Moxon, Moderator - November 20, 2006

    I have two Vandercook instruction sheets for this device on the website at the “Tools and Misc Equipment”:https://vandercookpress.info/tools.html page in PDF one for the No. and 215 and one for Universal and SP models.

  3. Fritz Klinke - November 19, 2006

    Yes, I do have the photo this was copied from and clearly that is a traveling sheet tray. Other options I missed include the plexiglass dust cover, the ink roller hold down spring on the geared roller and the automatic washup device. This photo had been retouched and air brushed, and the background knocked out, and I may have the original print somewhere as well. The resolution on the flickr page is not too hot, so I’d be happy to send by emaila better copy of this–at least on my scan I can read most of the lettering on the labels.


  4. Fritz Klinke - November 19, 2006

    I agree with Eric–I’m pretty sure this is a picture of a fully loaded SP-15 with every available accessory–ink dispenser, ink monitor, paper storage box, delivery tray, the little attachment on the bottom right end of the stand for putting paper work or what ever they called it, power inking, ink roller gizmos that can barely be seen, extra rack for a second set of rollers, and maybe more. I counted 13 possible accessories off a specification sheet here in the files a while back. I quite possibly have the original 8×10 print of that photo over in one of the cabinets–I’ll take a look and maybe scan it.

  5. Eric Holub - November 19, 2006

    Actually, I’d agree that the posted photo seems to have the receiving tray, poking into the space of the top shelf. Up to now, I’ve only seen the trays on 4s and Universal-Is that did not have shelves under the feedboard, so it is interesting to see it used, apparently, with shelves installed.

    About the ink-dispenser, it comes from a time modern Vandercookers can barely imagine: when the presses were actually used for proofing! That is, using black proofing and repro inks to pull proofs of sticks of type-matter, galleys of composition, made-up pages, or engravings, for reading and inspection. Many Vandercooks spent their whole existance inked in black only and never saw anything thicker than newsprint and repro paper.

  6. Wallflowers Press - November 18, 2006

    Looking at the photo supplied by The Arm NYC it looks like it would have been pretty handy as long as you were just printing black or some other right-out-of-the-can color and printing a lot of it.

  7. Wallflowers Press - November 18, 2006

    It DOES NOT have the traveling sheet delivery tray.

  8. The Arm NYC - November 18, 2006

    Does the SP-15 in this photo also have a travelling sheet delivery tray under the feed board? I have never seen this feature on an SP-15, but that’s what it looks like to me…

  9. The Arm NYC - November 17, 2006

    Here’s a new try at showing that photo.
    You might have to follow it off-site or if Paul happens to be bored and watching he can snag it and add it above.

  10. Gerald Lange - November 17, 2006

    These might be of use if you were using an ink that did not require additives, can’t think of many that don’t. The Vandercook brand repro ink cans fit these.

    But they are located in an odd spot on the press, considering that the inked knife must travel over the feedboard.

    I’ve always just converted these over as bases for lamps/magnifying lamps.

    The rubber gaskets are nice for just that slight bit more of a movement when adjusting the level of the press.

  11. Fritz Klinke - November 17, 2006

    These were one of the options on all of the Vandercooks during the 60s/early70s. They work with the right size ink can and that’s the problem today–few if any ink cans are made that match the right size for this accessory, and more and more cans are now plastic or paperboard. We still stock the round steel discs that force the ink up through the little hole Terry described. One drawback was that they were messy, very messy. But for a busy shop, working one or several shifts, this was a good answer for a readily available source of ink to add to the press. I have several of these on our shelves.

  12. Wallflowers Press - November 17, 2006

    That didn’t seem to work.

  13. The Arm NYC - November 17, 2006

    Not sure if I can post images in this way, but here goes…

  14. The Arm NYC - November 17, 2006

    I have one of these on my SP-15 (no ink monitor) and I don’t think the two were only available together. I am pretty sure it is meant to have some sort of seperate round flexible plate that sits on top of it that squeezes the ink from the can and keeps the mess off the attached plunger. It would be most useful to a proof printer because you would not want to change colors on it, you’d just leave the can on there until it was all used up, then replace it.

  15. Eric Holub - November 17, 2006

    Yes, it is an ink-dispenser meant for the Vandercook ink cans, a size once common, less common today. Recently I saw the parts for an installation and there was also a rubber gasket to be used. I’ve seen a number of them but never one with an ink-can still on it.
    It certainly was a good idea, minimizing skin and waste before non-skinning inks were developed. If you regularly use a skinning oil-base ink, it might still be useful by transferring your ink to a can that fits the dispenser.

  16. Terry Chouinard - November 17, 2006

    Isn’t that one of those plunger-like ink dispensers? I recall one on a Uni 1 I worked on years ago. The diagonal shape extending up and right is an ink knife that was held in place by a magnet. A hole was punctured in the bottom of the ink can by a steel prick built into the unit. The can was then turned upside down and placed on the plunger. There was a dial underneath that allowed you to measure the dab of ink dispensed. I’ve only seen this mechanism on presses with ink level monitors, which is that black box immediately to the right of the ink dispenser.

    I’d love to hear input from others. Were they considered a successful innovation at the time? Would anyone still consider using them if given the opportunity? I imagine I would considering it seems a precise method of measuring ink and controlling the ink level. I stated “I recall one on a Uni 1 I worked on years ago” but we didn’t get to use it. Our Vanson cans didn’t fit the plunger.

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2022 vandercookpress.infoTheme by SiteOrigin
Scroll to top