5 thoughts on “Split Oscillating Roller and Drum…

  1. edmond - September 7, 2007

    Thank you all for your responses. From what I understand, instead of replacing the drum with a split one, using split form rollers would essentially have the same result?

  2. Paul Moxon, Moderator - September 6, 2007

    See photos of a split oscillating distributor and split form rollers on on the “Tools”:https://vandercookpress.info/tools.html#split page.

  3. Eric Holub - September 6, 2007

    You either use split form rollers (saw this on a 219OS), or a split oscillating distributor, but not both. The recess is slightly longer than the travel of the oscillator. That allows for distribution of ink without mixing.
    You also need a center side-guide if feeding two separate sheets. Could be stationary, as on a No. 4 set up for two color proofing.

  4. Paul Moxon, Moderator - September 5, 2007

    I’m all for experimenting as long as you don’t harm the machine. Having said that, running two colors and two forms at the same time is a lot to monitor. The roller height adjustment may need to be set differently for the two inks. One form may require more makeready than the other. Registration may also be harder to maintain. Unless you are planning a large press run, a dual set up may take more time, than separate runs.

  5. The Arm NYC - September 5, 2007

    Here is an image of a press with that feature.

    As you can see you would also need a split oscillating drum. I think it is interesting, but unless you are constantly printing with two colors on different ends of the sheet it won’t be much use to you.
    I suspect most people with this option would gladly trade for the standard version without the dead stripe down the middle of the bed.

    Daniel Morris
    The Arm Letterpress
    Brooklyn, NY

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2022 vandercookpress.infoTheme by SiteOrigin
Scroll to top